| The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths|
The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths have always promoted new silversmiths and after the war George Hughes (Assistant Clerk 1919-39 and Clerk from 1939-53) and his son Graham, who was appointed art secretary in 1952, wrote to various bodies in the City and universities suggesting that the time was right for them to commission new work. Both the London County Council and Birmingham Corporation started collections of modern silver at this time and in 1954 the Goldsmiths' Company produced a booklet 'Modern Silver' and a follow up in 1959 'Modern Silver'
. "This book is intended to stimulate interest in modern British silver. Its purpose is to introduce good designers to a wider circle of manufacturers, retailers and members of the public." They also stage retrospectives and exhibitions by contemporary silversmiths.
As well as their work on promotion they also commission pieces for their own collection and as commemorative pieces.
They have an excellent website at www.thegoldsmiths.co.uk which has extensive information on current silversmiths and publications they have for sale which are essential reading for anyone interested in the Post-war era.
| ||Silver Dish|
Length: 16 cm
The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths crest to centre
Retailed by Payne & Son Oxford
| Silver Box|
60 boxes made for The Goldsmiths' Company
Diamter: 6.6 cm
Height: 2.3 cm
| ||Stuart Devlin Book|
Goldsmiths Company Exhibition 2-6 November 1987
Click image to enlarge