Julius Wolfe and his brother Adolph Abraham Sandheim formed a firm of watchmakers in 1875 and in 1908 Adolph entered a hallmark for Sandheim Brothers as gold and silver workers. Julius had been taught by and executed designs for W Augustus Steward, the editor of The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmiths trade Journal and Chief Instructor at the Central School of Arts and Crafts. By 1915 they had a shop at 130 High Street, Notting Hill Gate in West London and the business was carried on by Adolph's daughter Amy Sandheim from the same address who continued producing several of their earlier designs as well as her own. After she married she continued using her maiden name, but reverted to Sandheim by deed poll in 1937. (Julius changed his name by deedpoll the same year to Sandeman). Amy (Alice) died in 1958.
Johnson Walker and Tolhurst Ltd
Diameter: 10cm Height: 5.5cm
In the style of Latino Movio, who had worked with Gilbert Marks and produced work for Johnson Walker and Tolhurst Ltd. of New Bond Street.
Enid Kelsey entered her mark at the London Assay Office in 1929 and worked from 17 Northway, Temple Fortune, London, NW11. She wrote a play 'The Stars' with her husband Cyril which was revived for the Garden Suburb Theatre, NW 11 1999/2000 season. (Cyril Kelsey, known as 'the Professor', had started his apprenticeship as a silversmith with Charles Ashbee in 1899, and been involved in many of the Guild's plays before joining the army and going to South Africa. On his return he worked as a clerk in a London shipping office and in 1906 Janet Ashbee wrote he was "...the proud possessor of a bowler hat, and a dress suit, and a young lady.")
Maker's mark HH
Cabochon Lapis mounted to finial19cm
This spoon was illustrated in the Bonhams catalogue for the touring exhibition organised by John Kelly in November 2007Helen Holmes was a true artisan, who not only made jewellery but also painted, worked in leather and produced metal ware. Yet she modestly described herself as a "Metal Worker" and never ventured out of her hometown of Bath. Born in 1876, she was a feisty and witty character, a far cry from the quiet, retiring ideal for a woman at the time. She grew up in a time when women were battling for emancipation and was committed to pursuing her chosen career. In 1896, she eventually won the consent of parents to attend the Bath School of Art, at a time when women had only recently been allowed to attend art schools. She was almost 30 years old by the time she married as she refused to be rushed, exhibiting widely and working for various artistic bodies rather than raising children. Indeed, marriage and children did not impede her prolific production and she carried on working until well into her eighties, living to the grand old age of 96. She became a close friend of John Betjeman after she was widowed and he regularly commissioned pieces from her as gifts.
SOLDHugh Wallis was born in Kettering in 1871 and trained in art at Bushey, Herts. He started out as an artist but then took up metalwork. In 1900 he opened a studio in Altrincham and registered his first mark at the Chester Assay Office in 1905. In 1918 he still described himself as an artist (he had exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy) but he also employed five or six employees to make items in copper, pewter or brass with metal inlays and some pieces in silver. Hugh became a leading figure in the Northern Art Workers Guild and died in 1943.
Joseph Beeston Himsworth
Joyce Rosemary Himsworth
Rare early mark: JBH over JRHJoyce Rosemary Himsworth was born in Sheffield in 1905 and from very early on worked with her father Joseph Beeston Himsworth at B Worth a & Sons making spoons and small items of jewellery. She went on to study at the Sheffield School of Art and did design work for the Company. In 1925 she registered a joint mark with her father and established her own workshop in Sheffield. In the 1930's she studied at the Central School of Arts and Crafts under H G Murphy in London and registered her own mark there and in Sheffield. She was not a prolific maker, working mainly to commission. A pair of vases and two chalices can be seen in Westminster Cathedral and a silver and gold Peace Cup made for the 'Britain Can Make It' exhibition. She took part in many exhibitions of the Goldsmiths' Company at home and abroad and taught at Rotherham and Chesterfield art colleges, She retired in the 1960's and an exhibition of her work was held at the Sheffield City Museum in 1978. She died in 1990.
Canon Rawnsley (1851-1920) Vicar of Crosthwaite, near Keswick and a Canon of Carlisle with his wife Edith founded the Keswick School of Industrial Arts as a metalwork class in 1884 following the teachings of John Ruskin and William Morris. In 1893 a new building housed the school and 5 years later Harold Stabler became a full time tutor, then Herbert Maryon, who had been apprenticed to Ashbee, followed by Robert Hilton. In 1931 they started production in stainless steel for Heals and in the 1950's Leslie Durbin was involved for a short time. Hand finished metal work proved a difficult competitor to machine finished work and the School closed in its centenary year, 1984. Although they produced furniture and furnishings, it is for their metalwork that they are mainly remembered for.
Comes with the exhibition catalogue
Robert Catterson-Smith (born 1853 in Dublin - died 1938) His father, Stephen Catterson-Smith was a noted portrait painter and president of the Royal Hibernian Academy. Robert had been assistant to William Morris preparing illustrations for the Kelmscott Press, particularly the Edward Burne-Jones series for Chaucer. He produced monochrome illustrations and oil paintings as well being a silversmith. As a member of the Art Worker's Guild (founded 1884) he was commissioned by Phillip Webb (a founder of Morris & Co.) to make a large silver covered cross (now in the V & A Museum).His silver work was shown alongside the Guild of Handicraft and Arthur Dixon at the 4th Arts and Crafts Exhibition in 1893. He taught at the Central School of Arts and Crafts when it opened in London in 1896 under joint heads, sculptor George Frampton and artist-architect W R Lethaby. He moved to Birmingham in 1901 where he taught at the School of Jewellery and Silversmithing before following Edward Taylor as Headmaster of the Birmingham School of Art in 1903 with testimonials from Burne-Jones, Philip Webb, William de Morgan and Walter Crane. He was a popular teacher there until his retirement in 1920. This Arts and Crafts influence on the students, so evident in the subject matter and style of the compositional studies and designs for metalwork, stained and textiles, was strengthened by the lectures given to students by William Holman Hunt (in 1893), William Morris (in 1894) and W. R. Lethaby (in 1901). In 1911 he designed the Kendrick Casket now in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. (William Kendrick presented Catterson-Smith with a Birmingham Guild of Handicraft silver box in November 1914 in thanks) He founded The Craftsmen's Club in Birmingham (1902-38) where he believed "the business of craftsmanship is to express emotion" if it ceases to do so will become lifeless, devoid of human feeling, sentiment and romance.('A Forgotten Pre-Raphaelite' Campbell-Wilson 1998)
SOLDJulius Wolfe and his brother Adolph Abraham Sandheim formed a firm of watchmakers in 1875 and in 1908 Adolph entered a hallmark for Sandheim Brothers as gold and silver workers. Julius had been taught by and executed designs for W Augustus Steward, the editor of The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmiths trade Journal and Chief Instructor at the Central School of Arts and Crafts. By 1915 they had a shop at 130 High Street, Notting Hill Gate in West London and the business was carried on by Adolph's daughter Amy Sandheim from the same address who continued producing several of their earlier designs as well as her own. After she married she continued using her maiden name, but reverted to Sandheim by deed poll in 1937. (Julius changed his name by deedpoll the same year to Sandeman). Amy (Alice) died in 1958.
Miss Helen Marjorie Ibbotson (1877-1962) was a craftsman and teacher at the Sheffield College of Art and a member of the Sheffield Arts Crafts Guild.
Worth and Sons
Designed by Joyce Rosemary Himsworth (1905-90)
SOLDWinifred King and Mildred Murphy traded as W King & Co. - originally registering their mark at the Birmingham Assay Office as craft workers based at The Studio, Old Palace Chambers, Earl Street, Coventry. Unmarked spoons turn up boxed with this printed address and their work has been noted between 1924 and 1958. All the girls apprenticed there received a ring on their 21st birthday; Irene Jackson received hers in 1937. Gladys and Charles Mumford also worked there and later moved to Falmouth where they continued working until the 1980's and selling items on the QEII.) One of their patrons was HM Queen Mary. The business closed during the war.